December 10, 2010

The way the world views a Christian.

So I went and saw "Easy A." with the college group the other night and a lot of us were offended because of the way they depicted Christians. So, for those who don't know, "Easy A." Is about a teenage girl who makes up a lie to her best friend saying she had sex with a community college guy. The rumor spread and the main character liked the attention because she was once an outcast. So one of her other friends, a homosexual who is constantly harassed, asks her if she will pretend to have sex with him so that people will think he is straight and will stop picking on him. So then all the nerds find out that she is willing to pretend to have sex with people to help them out (For a small price of coarse) However, the rest of the school believes she is soliciting sex for money. (AKA prostitution.) All the while there is a group of Christians who condemn her to hell, speak to her with judgment, and show her no compassion and/or love.

Now at the end of the movie a lot of the group were saying... The movie was funny but I'm offended by the way they depicted Christians.

My question is why? Why did you get offended? Were you offended because they were making fun of your beliefs? Or were you offended by the way the Christians were behaving in the movie? Now if you said I'm offended because they were making fun of our beliefs, I say you've missed the point and that you're being a hypocrite. How many times have you watched as other religions are made fun of, and laughed. I know I have. I watch Jeff Dunham and his dead terrorist making fun of Islam. I watch South Park as they make fun of Mormonism (and countless other beliefs)

Now if you're offended because of the way the Christians were behaving in this movie, I say you're getting warmer.If this movie depicts how the world views Christians then why aren't we doing something to improve that image? Why are we sitting around SAYING "the movie totally got it wrong," instead of SHOWING the world the movie got it wrong. Where have we shown (as an entire unit) that the world is wrong? The reason the world sees us this way is because of the Christians that behave this way. It's because it's few and far between where a Christian will go to someone in love and not judgement. It's a rare Christian who will say what they mean without condemnation. Now, am I saying that that's what my college group does? NO! I'm simply trying to point out that,YES, you should be offended by the movies depiction of Christianity, but not for the simple reason that they're picking on us. We should be offended because there are Christians in the World that are like this and that THEY ARE the ones setting the stereotype of a Christian.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I just wanted to say ...Where did you come from ??? Because you are so dang smart and I love you so much !!!!!! I think you nailed this on the head sweetie !!!
Love you Mommy :)

About Me

My photo
I'm Mareia. More commonly known as Mernie.